We have created a diverse and experienced Board of Directors comprised of individuals from various community organizations and congregations supporting the Silicon Valley Rotating Shelter. Our Board of Directors focuses on corporate governance and contractual arrangements, strategy, fundraising and financial matters. All officers and directors serve without compensation.
We have also convened a Host Council made up of representatives from each of the host congregations and other supporting organizations. The Host Council helps facilitate the day-to-day logistics surrounding the operation of the shelter including facilities, supplies, meals and volunteers.
Board of Directors
Pat Vorreiter brings her experience as an attorney and former Sunnyvale Council Member and Mayor to our Board. Pat is also the outgoing president of the Sunnyvale Rotary.
Mary Ellen Chell is the former Executive Director of Cupertino Community Services and and The National Council on Alcoholism. Mary Ellen also serves as the Treasurer of Faith In Action Silicon Valley Rotating Shelter (on a volunteer basis).
Dale Jones is the Executive Director of Discovery Charter School in San Jose and the representative for our Host Council from Bethel Lutheran Church in Cupertino. Dale serves on Bethel’s church council and is the chair of their Mission Outreach Committee. He also volunteers with West Valley Community Services as a regular gleaner for their pantry, and is a volunteer basketball coach at Lynbrook High School.
Bev Lenihan brings her decade of non-profit consulting and fundraising expertise, in addition to her 30+ years in marketing, communications and relationship management. Bev is a past president of Cupertino Rotary and a Deacon of Sunnyvale Presbyterian Church.
Dennis Whitaker is a member of the Cupertino Chamber of Commerce and has been a State Farm insurance agent for 37 years. Dennis is a former board member of Cupertino Community Services, Fremont Union High School District Foundation and Pacific Autism Center for Education. He is a current member of Optimist Club of Cupertino.
Linda Morse is a community volunteer and the representative for our Host Council from First United Methodist Church of Sunnyvale, where she serves as the Chair of the Mission Commission.
Orrin Mahoney, a marketing consultant, is the former mayor of Cupertino. After a 35 year management career at HP, he retired and devoted his time to community and civic activities. He is currently a member of the Cupertino City Council and is an active member and past president of the Rotary Club of Cupertino.
Cathey Edwards, the chair of the Board, is a corporate legal consultant and was involved with the former Rotating Shelter program from inception. She has served as Homeless Services Coordinator for Sunnyvale Presbyterian Church for more than 20 years. Cathey also serves as the Executive Director of Faith In Action Silicon Valley Rotating Shelter (on a volunteer basis).
We are pleased to have outstanding staff members committed to providing program management for Faith In Action Silicon Valley Rotating Shelter. In addition to Nadine and Ron, we are fortunate to have two experienced Overnight Supervisors, Todd Fowler and Khoi Pham.
Nadine Hutchison is our Program Manager and provides case management for the guests of our shelter. Nadine is also a Property Manager for Charities Housing. She was the employed by WVCS for 8 years as the Program Manager for the former Rotating Shelter.
Ron Eiland is the lead for our Supervision Team. Ron is currently a material specialist and dispatch driver for Varian Medical Systems. Ron was previously employed for 7 years by WVCS as Lead Overnight Supervisor for the former Rotating Shelter program.
Mary Ellen Hennig is our Volunteer Coordinator. Mary Ellen is a retired teacher and was involved with the former Rotating Shelter since its inception in 1991, first as a volunteer, and later as shelter co-coordinator for St. Joseph of Cupertino Parish. She served as volunteer meals coordinator for the prior program for 10 years.
These congregations host the shelter one month of the year, providing shelter, food, supplies and fellowship for our shelter guests.
- St. Joseph of Cupertino Catholic Parish http://www.stjoscup.org/
- The Good Samaritan United Methodist Church (Cupertino) http://www.goodsam.info/
- Bethel Lutheran Church (Cupertino) http://www.bethelcupertino.org/
- Congregation Beth David (Saratoga) http://www.beth-david.org/
- Church of the Ascension (Saratoga) http://www.churchoftheascension.net/
- First United Methodist Church (Sunnyvale) http://www.sunnyvaleumc.org/
- Trinity United Methodist Church (Sunnyvale) http://trinityumcsunnyvale.org/
- St. John Lutheran Church (Sunnyvale) http://www.luther95.net/SJLC-SCA/
- St. Thomas Episcopal Church (Sunnyvale) http://www.stthomas-svale.org/
- Sunnyvale Presbyterian Church http://www.svpc.us/
Our Host Council is made up of representatives from each host congregation and other supporting organizations. The Host Council helps facilitate the day-to-day logistics surrounding the operation of the shelter including facilities, supplies, meals and volunteers.
* Mary Ellen Hennig and Richard Sherman, St. Joseph of Cupertino Catholic Parish
* Patty Groves and Flo Harrison, The Good Samaritan United Methodist Church (Cupertino)
* Dale Jones, Bethel Lutheran Church (Cupertino)
* Judy Gilford, Congregation Beth David (Saratoga)
* Donald Van Buren and Russell Castronova, Church of the Ascension (Saratoga)
* Linda and Tom Morse, First United Methodist Church (Sunnyvale)
* Kitty Hagan and Judy Williams, Trinity United Methodist Church (Sunnyvale)
* Kathy Harnack, St. John Lutheran Church (Sunnyvale)
* Chris Schmidt, St. Thomas Episcopal Church (Sunnyvale)
* Gretchen Parenteau, Sunnyvale Presbyterian Church
* Barton Wilson, Congregational Community Church (Sunnyvale)