How It Works
The Silicon Valley Rotating Shelter will move from one host church or synagogue to another each month. Each host site will provide adequate space for the guests to sleep, a secure area for them to store their belongings during the day and an area where they can have their meals. Volunteers from the collaboration of organizations and the host site will provide dinners each night and groceries for the guests to make their own breakfasts and lunches. The shelter will open at 8:00 p.m. and close at 7:00 a.m. The guests and their personal belongings and supplies for the shelter will be moved from one host site to the next each month by a team of volunteers.
Professional Case Management and Supervision
Faith in Action Silicon Valley Rotating Shelter, a non-profit organization, will provide professional case management, overnight supervisors, voice mailboxes, passes to use the showers at the Northwest YMCA, job counseling, bus passes and other supportive services. Applicants will be carefully screened and must sign a contract which defines their responsibilities and rights within the program. The program will be limited to 15 guests who are “clean and sober”, employed or employable, who are allowed to stay for a period of up to 90 days, as long as they are in compliance with program requirements and making progress toward the goal of self-sufficiency and permanent housing. Shelter guests will receive extensive case management and tremendous support from the community.
Criteria For Applicants
- Clean and Sober program
- If history of drug or alcohol problems, must show proof of attendance at 12-Step meetings
- Drug testing at entry and randomly throughout the program
- Must sign a contract agreeing to abide by the rules of the program.
- Employed or employable
- If in school, must be in a program that ends within 30 days
- Individuals with mental health issues will be referred to other appropriate programs
- No sexual offenders or violent felonies (if there is a felony, conviction it must have been 7 or more years ago)
- TB Test required